Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Waffle in the First

Until a few weeks ago, I was totally unaware that a waffle iron cookbook and blog existed. Even though I'm not the first, this news is still exciting. I'm reassured that I'm not the only crazy one.

I first thought of using a waffle iron to cook delectables other than just waffles the day I wanted cinnamon rolls. I had a tube of the ready to bake kind but didn't feel like turning on my oven. (The scorching month of June in Dallas, TX tends to dictate what you eat and how you cook it.) So, there I was, standing in the middle of my tiny kitchen glancing back and forth at the package in my hand and the waffle iron on the counter. Then the proverbial light bulb flickered.

Plugging in the appliance, I thought, "Let's just see what happens." Not having any directions on how long to leave the rolls in between the iron plates left me feeling like I was discovering something totally new. I slipped one roll onto the waffle iron and slowly closed the lid. Some steam began to escape through the sides so I lift the lid. The cinnamon roll still looked doughy and undercooked, yet was crisping on the edges. I closed the lid again and let the steam pass for about another minute before I peeked inside. This time I saw a tan, crispy roll, but was it done?

I lifted out the roll with a fork and set it on a plate. Slicing through the roll with a knife, I found that it was cooked - all the way! This twenty dollar appliance managed to make me a nice treat in just 2 minutes as opposed to the 14 minutes it would have taken in the oven, not to mention the pre-heat time. I squeezed some icing from the packet and let it seep into the holes made from the iron. I enjoyed each sweet, chewy yet crispy bite.

I ended up cooking the whole tube, two at a time. I called my friend Marci over to witness this event.
"That's crazy!" she said as she took a bite and smiled.

So, a success. I give this one 4 squares out of a possible 4 squares.



No comments:

Post a Comment