Monday, November 24, 2014

Waffled Chicken

Okay, so I know that bread and tortillas cook great in the waffle iron, and I know what type of cheese to avoid. Now I wanted to explore the culinary puzzle further. What about chicken?
I wondered if the chicken would give enough to succumb to the flavor hole makers. I had grilled chicken once on a table top grill press, so I figured using a waffle iron would be close enough. I didn't know what temperature the waffle iron would get to though.
I let the iron heat up until the light turned green, then I placed on thawed chicken tender on the iron and slowly closed the lid.  There was some sizzling noise, but no popping. Since I wasn't sure how long the the chicken should be shut up in there, I waited two minutes. Two minutes so far seemed to be the magic number with everything else. When I checked on the piece, it appeared cooked on the outside, but after cutting it in half, the inside was still quite pink. I put the two halves back in the waffle iron for another minute. The next time I took out the chicken tender, the now two pieces were browning on the outside and fully cooked all the way through. The chicken was cooked, but, in my opinion, flavorless.
I topped the next piece of chicken with my favorite seasoning: seasoned salt. Then I slipped it into the waffle iron and waited the full three minutes to cook. When I removed it from the heat and cut it open, the chicken was cooked, but the spices were burned and did not taste good. So, with the last chicken tender, I let it cook for three minutes, then I sprinkled on the seasoning. Again, the chicken was cooked and filled with flavor holes, but did not take well to the seasoning.
I believe anyone looking to cook chicken without imbuing flavor into it along the cooking process, would enjoy this method. But for me, I like the flavor you get when you pan fry or bake with the spices rubbed on while cooking.
I give this experiment 3 out of 4 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment